回帖

積分

六級

積分
QQ
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發(fā)表于 2015-1-21 10:59:28 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
  Late last year, we reported extensively on weeks ofpro-democracy protests in Hong Kong. They didn’tachieve their aim, but the territory’s legislators stillhave to approve the controversial reforms thatsparkthe protests. Well, now Hong Kong’s richestman has weighed into the debate. I heard from oureast Asia editor Michael Bristol. This man Li Ka-shing has said that their legislators who’ll due tovote on this later this year should put through these reforms.

And does he have much sway?

Well, he is a businessman. He is not a politician. So he doesn’t have direct sway but in HongKong, historically, business people have always had quite a lot of power. The territory itself hasbuilt its economy open. Business people are always pushing for business friendly policies. Sothey’ve historically been heard by the leaders. They’ve also seen the demonstrators on thestreet just at the end of last year. Seeingthe possible damage that that might cause to HongKong’s reputation and its ability to do business, so many of them came out and asked theprotesters to go home. They want this thing to go through smoothly. They want the reformsto be pushed through smoothly.

That just comes after his move the base of his companies from Hong Kong to the CaymanIslands.

He himself has moved two of his businesses to the Cayman Islands.

Michael Bristol.

As we record this podcast, star gazers in Europe are hoping to catch a glimpse of a comet,which hasn’t crossed the night sky for more than 11,000 years. Comet Lovejoy hits its peakover the next few days. And its greenish blue glow may be visible to the naked eye. It’sexpected to remain visible for around two weeks. The comet was discovered by amateurastronomer Terry Lovejoy in August from his observatory in Australia. He has, in fact,discovered four comets. And this one is his fifth. What started his whole interest?

My father had an interest in astronomy.

Halley’s Comet is the one that’s most famous to all of us, isn’t it?

That’s correct. The 1910 return of Halley’s Comet was particularly great one.

So I bet you’d like to discover a comet quite as impressive as that, or perhaps your LovejoyComets are.

None of them have got to that sort of level.

Well, you are still young.

Tell me about yourself now. I believe you are a man with a shed, at least that’s what your wifetold me.

You can take the roof off and stick your telescope through the top, can you?

It’s a quite common design.

How do you find a comet in the sky? How do you spot one?

You have to search a lot of sky. And I take many many photos of the sky.

1.protester n.抗議者
  My arm is sore where the protester grabbed me, andmy heart is beating out a frantic rhythm in mychest.
  我的胳膊被那個抗議者抓過的地方酸痛,我的心在我的胸腔里瘋狂地跳動著,節(jié)奏紊亂。
  2.reputation n. 聲譽
  He tried to lie away her reputation.
  他極力以謊言毀損她的名譽。
  3.smoothly adv.平穩(wěn)地
  The train glides smoothly into the station.
  列車平穩(wěn)而緩慢地駛進車站。
  4.spark v.激起
  A single spark can start a prairie fire.
  星星之火, 可以燎原。
  5.controversial adj.有爭議的
  They tried their best to run away from controversial issues.
  他們盡力避開有爭議的問題。
  6.Cayman Islands n.開曼群島
  Since then, once-notorious tax havens like the Cayman Islands and Liechtenstein havereluctantly accepted reforms to get off the list and escape the threat of sanctions.

此后,開曼群島以及列支敦士登這些曾聲名狼藉的避稅天堂便被迫接受改革,以脫離灰名單中并避免制裁威脅。

1.Business people are always pushing forbusiness friendly policies.
  push for 爭取
  Yet as I said, there’s a push for a repeat of thisdisastrous performance.
  然而,正如我前面所說的那樣,有人推動要重演災難性的這一幕。
  This discovery prompted consumer groups, as well as scientists, to push for comprehensivetesting of the potential allergenicity of GM foods.
  這一發(fā)現(xiàn)促使消費者團體和科學家推動對轉基因食物潛在過敏性進行更加全面的測試。
  2.It’s expected to remain visible for around two weeks.
  be expected to 有望做某事
  Only programmers who do system debugging should be expected to deal directly with XMLmessages.
  只能期望確實進行系統(tǒng)調試的程序員來直接處理 XML 消息。
  Any gains from having more than one offspring at a time might be expected to be like higherinfant and maternal mortality rates.
  每次從多于一個孩子那里獲得的比期望的更多,通常會伴隨著較高的嬰兒死亡率和母親死亡率。

去年,我們以大篇幅報道了香港持續(xù)數(shù)周的“爭取民主”游行活動。他們的目標沒有達成,而香港立法者仍得批準引發(fā)游行活動的有爭議的改革。日前,香港首富加入了這場爭論。本臺亞洲記者邁克爾·布里斯托報道。香港首富李嘉誠稱,今年末將對此進行投票的香港立法者應該保證這些改革措施順利完成。
  他的影響力大嗎?
  他是商人,不是政治家,所以不會產(chǎn)生直接的影響,但是香港商人歷來很有權力。香港的經(jīng)濟本身就比較開放,所以領導人總是會聽取商人的意見。去年年底,他們也看到了街上的示威游行者,想到游行對香港的聲譽和經(jīng)濟可能造成破壞,所以許多商人出來呼吁游行者回家。他們想讓這件事情順利開展。他們希望改革順利推進。
  在此之前,李嘉誠剛把公司從香港遷到了開曼群島。
  他把旗下的兩家公司遷至開曼群島。
  邁克爾·布里斯托報道。
  在我們錄制這期播客時,歐洲的天文愛好者正期待著看到一顆1.1萬年沒在夜空劃過的彗星。洛夫喬伊彗星將于近日升至最高點??赡苡萌庋劬湍芸吹剿G藍色的輝光。這顆彗星預計在兩周內(nèi)持續(xù)可見。八月份,天文愛好者特里·洛夫喬伊在他的澳大利亞觀測臺發(fā)現(xiàn)了這顆彗星。事實上,他之前已經(jīng)發(fā)現(xiàn)了4顆彗星,這是第5顆。究竟是什么引發(fā)了他的興趣呢?
  我的父親對天文學很感興趣。
  我們大家最熟悉的一顆彗星是哈雷彗星,對吧?
  沒錯。1910年哈雷彗星的回歸是非常棒的一件事情。
  那你肯定也想發(fā)現(xiàn)一顆像哈雷那樣令人印象深刻的彗星,或者說你的洛夫喬伊彗星已經(jīng)做到了這一點。
  我發(fā)現(xiàn)的這幾顆都還沒有達到那種水準。
  沒關系,你還年輕嘛。
  跟我說說你自己吧。你有一個小屋?你妻子告訴我的??梢园盐蓓斈瞄_,把望遠鏡伸出去,是嗎?
  它的設計很普通。
  你是如何在天空中發(fā)現(xiàn)彗星、辨認彗星的?

你需要觀察大面積的天空。我拍了很多張?zhí)炜照掌?br />

爺簽的不是到,是寂寞!

該用戶從未簽到

主題

回帖

積分

二級

積分
沙發(fā)
發(fā)表于 2015-1-24 11:52:51 | 只看該作者